Want to make a mini tesla coil ? this blog is a step by step tutorial for mini tesla coil project.
What is tesla coil ?
- Tesla coil was invented by scientist Nikola tesla. It is a device that is used for creating high frequency high voltage at very low current. The credit for inventing remote control, Alternating current, neon bulb and induction motor also goes to Nikola tesla.
- In simple words tesla coil is an electrical resonant transformer that can produce super high voltages in the output.
- It was the first ever device that created hope for wireless electricity all around the world.
- The high frequency electromagnetic waves around the tesla coil can easily excite the gas present inside flourescent lamp and neon bulbs.
- A slayer excitor is a simplest version of tesla coil that can be made using only few components. It converts small dc voltage to high voltage Ac.
Gather these components if you want to make your own mini tesla project at home ( slayer excitor )
- 25mm diameter PVC pipe
- 36 gauge insulated copper wire/ Magnet wire ( for secondary coil )
- 1mm copper wire. ( for primary coil )
- Aluminium foil for top load. ( I used LED bulb heat sink )
- Switch housing for base. ( circuit to be fitted inside of it )
- Tip31c transistor
- 10k 0.25W resistor
- 12 Volt 2 Ampere power supply.
- We need 12v dc input to the circuit. Current may be 0.5A, 1A or 2A. You don’t need to have bridge rectifier & filter capacitor if you use SMPS.
- If you are using transformer as power supply then you need to add full wave rectifier followed by a filter capacitor.
- I used switch housing as base for my project. You can use any non-conducting material like plastic or acrylic sheet.
- Magnet wire can be found inside transformer, relay coils and motors, you can even buy new one from the market.
How to make Tesla Coil
- Start winding your secondary coil around 25 mm diameter PVC pipe. Number of turns can be between 300 to 3000, you didn’t have to be accurate about the turns . Wind the coils as close as possible and do not overlap. It’s a time consuming process, have patience and build quality work.
- Make all your connections according to the circuit diagram
- The positive terminal of the power supply is connected to resistor which is further connected to base pin of the transistor.
- The positive terminal is also connected to one side of primary winding, the other side of primary winding is connected to collector pin of the transistor.
- The emitter pin of transistor is directly connected to negative terminal of the power supply.
- The lower side of secondary winding is connected to base pin of transistor and the upper end is attached to top load.
- The primary winding can be between 2 to 5 turns around 30mm diameter PVC pipe.
- For top load use any lite weight metal structure or a plastic ball wrapped in aluminium foil.
At last connect the power supply and your tesla coil is ready to be used.
Bring a good working cfl bulb close to top corner of secondary coil and it will glow without any connection on its own. Adding a top load will enhance its output.
Frequently Asked Questions about tesla coil
- Can I make this project for my school / collage science exhibition ?
- Tesla coil can easily attract viewers attention because of its uniqueness.
- People think electricity is all about wires but when they see something like wireless electricity they really get amazed.
- Will this circuit work on 9V battery ?
- The circuit shown in this blog is designed to work on 12V or above. 9V is not enough specially when you use that popular small battery.
- I suggest you to use 12v 1 Ampere DC power supply for good results.
- Is this circuit dangerous ?
- I have made this project for students keeping safety in mind but anyways this is electricity related project, so be careful and make it at your own risk.
- Be attentive while making it
- Handle power supply carefully when connected to 230V AC mains.
- Avoid shorting capacitor terminals.
- Don’t touch top load end with bare hands. High voltage sparks can burn your skin.
- Keep wiring setup clean and solved.