In this blog you are going to learn to make your own electronic piano circuit using 555 IC at home.
A musical instrument with multiple keys ( buttons ) that creates different tones when pressed is known as Piano.
Don’t worry if you are a beginner. The circuit is very easy to make, just follow this blog step by step. It will require only few components.
- Breadboard or vero board x 1
- Momentary push button switch x 7
- 555 IC x 1
- 4.7k resistor x 1
- 1k resistor x 7
- 100nf ceramic capacitor
- 10 µf / >12 V Electrolytic capacitor
- 8 Ω Speaker
- 5V power supply
555 IC Pinout
Circuit diagram for piano circuit using 555 ic
Tutorial for piano circuit using 555 IC
- Take 555 IC and connect its pin number 2 to pin number 6.
- Now connect pin number 4 to pin number 8 of the IC.
- Connect 1k resistor between pin number 7 & 8.
- Add 100nf capacitor between pin number 1 & 2.
- Now connect 4.7k resistor to pin 7 of IC.
- Connect a momentary push button switch in series with 4.7k resistor and connect the other terminal of switch to pin number 6 of the IC.
- Add other momentary push button switch with 1k resistor in series.
- Similarly add 7 switches in total.
- Now connect positive terminal of electrolytic capacitor to pin 3 of IC.
- Connect the negative terminal of electrolytic capacitor to one of the terminals of 8 ohm speaker.
- Connect the other terminal of 8 ohm speaker to pin number 1 of the 555 IC.
- Our electronic piano circuit using 555 IC is now ready. Just connect the positive of power supply to pin number 8 an negative of power supply to pin number 1 of the IC.
The circuit will play 7 different beeping tones on 7 different switches.
555 IC work as multi-vibrator and produce a square wave in the output of different frequency. The speaker produces different tones according to the frequency of signal received. The increasing value of resistor between pin 7 & 6 creates different frequency signals.
- You can make this circuit on either breadboard or Vero board according to your convenience.
- Voltage rating of 10 µf electrolytic capacitor can be according to market availability.
- You can use 3.7 V to 6V as input power supply. It can be a battery or power adaptor.
- If you are using Vero board then do not solder directly to IC. Excessive heat can harm IC. Use 8 pin IC base and then mount the IC on it separately.
Application of piano circuit using 555 ic
- This circuit is used as a toy piano for kids.
- It can be used as a project for B. tech, diploma and Polytechnique course.
Frequently asked questions
- Can I add more switches ?
- Use up to 10 switches for better results.
- Can I use mobile charger as power supply ?
- Mobile chargers output 5V DC. It can be used as power supply for this circuit.