Slayer exciter tesla coil
Tesla coil is super cool and attractive project that can easily be presented in school science exhibition or collage projects.
It creates an electromagnetic field around the coil that excites the gas present inside neon bulbs and fluorescent lamps and make them glow wirelessly without any circuit.
There are many versions of tesla coil. Some of them have complex circuits and some are super easy and can be made using only few components.
The super easy design that is popular among school and senior school students is known as slayer excitor circuit. The slayer excitor circuit is considered as simplest version of tesla coil.
The components required to make slayer exciter tesla coil is listed below –
- 2N2222a NPN transistor
- 22K Ohm 0.25W Resistor
- 9V battery
- 3 mm ( 28 gauge ) Insulated copper wire / Magnet wire ( For secondary coil )
- 75 or 1mm normal copper wire ( For Primary coil )
- PVC pipe 20 cm length 20mm diametre ( for secondary coil )
- Aluminium foil and small plastic ball for top load.
- Connecting wire
- Start winding 0.3 mm magnet wire on PVC pipe in such a way that they should not overlap. Make 300 – 600 turns one after another to cover full area of pipe. Tape both ends of coil. Making secondary coil is a time taking process, be patient and accurate while winding it.
- Get your soldering iron ready for work.
- If you hold flat side of 2n2222a transistor facing you. Then the first pin is emitter, 2nd pin is Base and the 3rd pin is Collector.
- Solder 22K resistor to 2nd pin ( base ) of transistor and connect the other side of resistor to 9V positive supply.
- Solder one end of primary to 3rd pin ( collector ) then make 3 turns and then solder other side of primary to positive 9V supply.
- Solder emitter pin to negative supply of 9V battery.
- Connect lower side of secondary winding to base pin of transistor and upper side of secondary winding to top load. ( make sure you scratch off the insulation of magnet wire at the connection points ).
- Make top load by wrapping aluminium foil on plastic ball.
Slayer exciter circuit
Frequently asked questions
- Why my 9V tesla coil is not working ?
- There could be many reasons for your tesla coil not working.
- Check battery voltage. Low battery is common problem. Battery voltage should be 8V or above.
- Check all your connections according to circuit diagram.
- Make proper soldering joints.
- If it still doesn’t work then invert the ends of primary coil.
- Do I need to count / make exact number of turns ?
- You don’t need to calculate the exact number of turns. Number of turns can be anywhere between 300 – 600.
- Can I use other gauge / diameter of wire ?
- Use any gauge of wire according to your convenience. 0.1mm to 0.4 mm diameter is a good range.
- Can I use any diameter of PVC pipe for secondary coil ?
- Use any diameter of PVC pipe or any insulator material pipe. 2 mm to 5 mm diameter of pipe is good range.
- Can I use any other value resistor ?
- You can use 10K 0.25w or 20K 0.25w resistor.
- Can tesla coil charge mobile phone ?
- Tesla coils can not charge mobile phones.
- Mobile phones are capable of wireless charging these days that uses similar concept but to charge a phone it needs specially designed circuit. To charge a mobile a special transmitter and receiver is designed.
- Who can make this project ?
- Any school student of class 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th & 12th.
- Junior collage students & 1st and 2nd year students of b tech and diploma programs.
1 thought on “Slayer exciter tesla coil | Slayer exciter circuit”
Thank you for the appealing read, its not a subject I usually give much attention too but this caught my attention.